Jewel writes on many subjects including history, theology, music, virtuous womanhood, as well as commenting on current books she is reading. In all she seeks to glorify God and apply lessons from history to life in the 21st century.

December 31, 2011

More thoughts on Federalism...

The more I learn about late 6th century politics, the more I realize nothing is black and white. As an extension on my earlier essay, I want to make it clear that both sides had dangers, and both sides had godly leaders. “The new federalism,” as I called it in my essay (now known as just federalism) was born from English Puritanism. More on the side of monarchy and chivalry, federalism tends to have the danger of becoming a tyrannical state. Monarchy is not a sin, it is an evil caused by sin. As my brother points out, Old Testament Israel had kings, but they did so against God’s intention. When we create governments, wouldn’t we want the best? I would, however; like to make it clear that both federalism and antifederalism (I called it the new and the old federalism, however; this is the correct way from 1787-1793) agreed that a representative republic had preeminence.
Antifederalism was born from a kind of “Jamestownian” thought that has penetrated the south. The danger here, however; which a few antifederalist leaders fell into was democracy and French Revolution type thinking. I will not, however; belabor the point I made earlier.
I grant that there is a lot more to learn on this issue. I’ll keep you updated…