Jewel writes on many subjects including history, theology, music, virtuous womanhood, as well as commenting on current books she is reading. In all she seeks to glorify God and apply lessons from history to life in the 21st century.

December 31, 2011

An Encouragment to the Young


My calling, as a woman, is not that of teacher but of encourager and life-giver to those around me. The only time the bible that it speaks of women teaching in a positive sense is older women are to teach the younger women specific principles. I hope these thoughts of mine will be an encouragement to you. With that foundation laid, I will digress.
I heard a pastor say once that the best years in life are the high school years-years to “hang out” with friends, learn, and not have to worry about real life. College life everywhere is portrayed as party life, fun and in a word: a life of unaccountability. Embraced by Christian and non-Christian alike these single years extended as long as possible. But is this really a biblical pattern? What are young people to be thinking about anyway? Having been examining such questions recently, I came up with a list of five important topics for us to be thinking upon.
The Scriptures are described in Psalm 119 as a light to our path. What more do we need as we seek God’s will than direction. I can think of no better way to think on God’s Word then memorizing it. I have found the easiest way to memorize is to break each verse into sections, and repeat each until I know it by heart. I then go unto the next section until I have the entire verse memorized. I have heard it done other ways as well. For example, one girl who had memorized whole books of the bible would repeat the verse over and over, putting emphasis on a different word each time. I also like to memorize short books at a time instead of random verses to help me keep track of review.
Psalm 36 says, “I will praise the Lord continually.” How are we to do that? One godly elderly woman set a timer as she was working to remind her throughout the day to give praise God. Looking at the scriptures one word at a time seems to give a great perspective-especially when going to sleep at night.
Death is not common talk around young people today. Unlike the fantasy death of the teenage culture so impenetrating the church today, Hebrews declares that we are “to be seeking a homeland.” For “if they (the patriarchs), had called to mind the place which they had come out, they might have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better that is a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called there God, for He has prepared a city for them.” All throughout the word of God we have examples of those who died well, and those who died wickedly. While Absalom died cursing his father, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses died blessing the people of God and looking forward to the coming of the Messiah. Death can come at any time…are we prepared? It has been a blessing to me to read the stories of the Huguenot and Covenanter martyrs. Their faith is an example to all.
A third thing that came to my mind was family life. I doubt than any normal girl (or boy…I would imagine) has in difficulty in thinking of marriage. It’s a natural desire. But how often do we think of life after the wedding; the difficulties of raising a family that will make an impact for God’s kingdom. Are we preparing ourselves?
-Building the Kingdom of God- As I am often reminded by our pastor, the kingdom is only taken by force. But by what force; the force of money and buildings or the force of love? We are often influenced by the culture around us and the church (Yes… the reformed church as well!) that the only way to build God’s kingdom is to become a foreign missionary, give money, or join an organization. We often forget that making a meal for our family, being a friend to the lonely visitor at church, or being an example of piety and godliness to a younger sibling is building the kingdom as well.
The Future is a fact that has loomed upon every person throughout history. It is not the wise or experienced that is to encounter it, but the young. Each time differs in what we will be facing, therefore it would be wise to study our times. In A.D. 60, for example, the next generation had to prepare for a world turned upside down-a world without Rome. In 1740 A.D. the next generation would be the creators of a “city on a hill,” a nation that would embrace Christianity for the next century. The future now, is unknown. But we can expect that the kingdom will not come easily. Whether facing opposition by communism, Psychology, Armenian dispensationalism, or Islam we know the kingdom of God will eventually be victorious over the kingdom of darkness. How will this next generation play a part in this great act of God? Only time will tell, the least we can do is prepare to be useful in God’s service. As one friend encouraged me, the great men of God going before us will have worked their whole lives in vain if their children do not carry on that vision. Those of us standing on the shoulders of such giants, have nothing to be proud of, and everything to work toward.
What do we actually believe, and how can I be consistent with that belief in my life? Theology is something I love to study, but how often do I ask how it actually applies to life? If I declare myself to adhere to the doctrine of Calvinism, How do I act according to that belief? For example, I would base my life upon accountability structures (parents, elders, etc.) so as to protect myself from the deceitfulness of myself: man is depraved. Or I when I wake up in the morning I wouldn’t be worried about getting everything done, since God is sovereign over my schedule. Titus 2 commands young men to be sound in doctrine; I would presume young women are to be as well although that may not be their primary focus.
The decisions we make now will determine the course of our life; whether we will build God’s kingdom or our own. Galatians 6:7-9 declares, “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he also shall reap. He who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, and he who reaps to the Spirit, will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” So many people today are expecting a good family, a loving marriage, or a successful job, yet they are only setting themselves up to be disappointed for they didn’t sow seeds of blessing. Will we, the next generation follow the same path to destruction?