Jewel writes on many subjects including history, theology, music, virtuous womanhood, as well as commenting on current books she is reading. In all she seeks to glorify God and apply lessons from history to life in the 21st century.

December 31, 2011

May Testimony to the Work of God in my Life

To begin with, I cannot say I as an individual am being saved, but rather that of my covenant family. For although my parents acknowledged the work of God in their life long before I came into this world; nevertheless, I have been chosen as a daughter of heavenly father by means of by earthly father’s leadership on my behalf and that of my family. Nor can I say that I have as some would phrase it, “an exciting and miraculous testimony,” thought I think it just has miraculous that the God of the Universe might look upon me, while so many others are in the brink of death and Hades forever. Of such I am eternally thankful. Instead of being plucked out of the fire with others being on guard, lest they spot their garments with what might have so dangerously spotted mine, I was plucked at the tender age of ten, and yet the ugliness of sin still abounded in me.
I must therefore admit, that at the first six years of life on this earth, my parents had not yet come to the realization that the churches we attended did not live completely to the standard of the gospel. I do not mean to say, that any church might come to perfection on this earth, yet these churches were, instead of drawing closer to God, drawing away by means of worldly cares, divisions, and as a whole the segregation of the family. I will say, but by the grace of God, I might have turned from the covenant of my father had we stayed in such a place.
But God, in his infinite wisdom brought my family to visit a local church on behalf of the homeschooling we heard thrived there. My mother, at an early age had decided that should God grant her any children she would teach them herself. This, I must be thankful, brought me to realization of the true doctrines of Scripture. We never left after that first Sunday, and have been ever since in that church. God, in his perfect wisdom, used imperfect churches on our behalf.
When I was ten, I requested to be baptized. Of the exact time of my conversion I know not. It seems sometimes that God works over a period of time instead of an immediate and obvious altar call. Because it was winter, I was baptized in the comfort of the church service. Not so my brother.
When my brother was ten he was baptized into the faith as well. We spent many an afternoon in wading in the creek, looking for the best spot for the ever approaching day. When we arrived with about 200 from the church it was pouring rain. Though some desired to wait it out, our courageous pastor decided to go for it…during the heights of a drenching thunderstorm. We to this day joke that my brother was sprinkled, poured, and immersed the rain so persisted! It was a fitting entry for my brother to be introduced into Christian manhood. Sadly, the seven and eight year old girls baptized alongside him had quite the fright in the frigid waters.
But I digress; I must say our family’s experience with failed adoption grew me most toward Christian womanhood. I was twelve when we decided to adopt a baby that was soon to be born. After months of preparation from paperwork and interviews, to planning the trip to pick the baby up, it was all faith building. We named the girl Moriah, after the mount of Abraham’s testing. During this time, with my mother busy with preparation I was now informally given the task of care for my siblings. Although I had much to learn, I believe that was the beginning my interest in learning the art of my calling, namely, homemaking. Sadly after such abundant anticipation and preparation the birth-mother changed, leaving our hopes of another blessing dashed. Ever since we have tried to bring more children into our home, but to no avail.
The very fact that God, before the world was, chose that my family would be brought into his covenant, and that I would be brought up to embrace His goodness is remarkable. I must attain that the very writing of this came by the grace of God that I might read the writings of great men of God’s kingdom as Calvin, Bunyan, Patrick, and Paton. To these I owe greatly for my love of writing and the study of history that will hopefully someday bless my family. Such author in later times as Elizabeth Charles, Douglas Bond, Eleanor H. Porter, and the like have taught me more in the skill of writing than a mere textbook might have. Such great composers as Bach, Handel, Wilbur, and Selbrede have taught me much in the biblical theory behind the music I so enjoy. I must give the honor to by parents for teaching me to read the Word of God firstly, and the great works of Christians in the past that I might grow as a godly woman.